size 640×480 pixels – but confined to 4/5 of window width
size 1024×768 pixels – but confined to 4/5 of window width
size 1600×1200 pixels – but confined to 4/5 of window width
The Vågå church was constructed during 1625–31, reusing some materials from the dismantled previous church. The latter, named St. Peter's Church, was built some time during the twelfth century, probably some 300 meters west of the present church, and it was a stave church. The belfry to the right was built very roughly three hundred years ago and contains the three bells.
There are four of these signs, one on each side of the two fence gates, claiming that the church was built "ca. 1100–1630". Another oddity is the fact that the present church is often called a stave church, which it is not.
Another sign on the churchyard fence: "VÅGÅ KYRKJE CA. 1150". Anyway – it's a beautiful church.
The Vågå coat of arms. It is a leaping reindeer buck, referring to Peer Gynt's buck ride on "Gjendineggen" (Henrik Ibsen [1828–1906]: "Peer Gynt" )
A Vågå manhole cover