Munkholmen islet

size 640×480 pixels – but confined to 4/5 of window width

size 1600×1200 pixels – but confined to 4/5 of window width

Munholmen is an islet about two kilometer (one mile) off the Trondheim harbor. It may be noted that after the town was rebuilt (according to General Johan Caspar de Cicignon's plan) following the great town fire in 1681, you may draw a straight line from the Nidaros Cathedral, down Munkgata ("the Monk Street"), including the town square halfway, ending on Munkholmen.

Munkholmen

size 640×160 pixels – but confined to 4/5 of window width

size M: 1024×256 pixels – but confined to 4/5 of window width

size 1600×400 pixels – but confined to 4/5 of window width

A thousand years ago its name was Niðarhólmr and it was used for executions. About 1100 (maybe earlier) a Benedictine monastery was built on the islet and this lasted until the Lutheran Reformation in 1537. The name Munkholmen ("Monk Islet") came into use maybe a century after the monks had left. A fortress was built there in 1660. It was rebuilt several times and was in active, though non-combat use until 1893. The fortress also served as a national penitentiary between 1680 and 1850
(2006-08-13)

< previous next >
size 640×480 pixels size 1024×768 pixels size 1600×1200 pixels