size 640×480 pixels – but confined to 4/5 of window width
size 1600×1200 pixels – but confined to 4/5 of window width
Leafing old birch at Vanndamman (the 'Water-Ponds').
In the 1800s the town needed more freshwater and in a long depression close to the town center these water reservoirs were constructed, mainly in the years 1860–1912. In addition to the Swan Pond there are three longer ponds in a row, and there was an intricate "gutter" system for collecting rainwater. By 1914 they had built a sub sea water pipeline from the larger island Frei and Vanndamman became a park and a recreation area. (Since 1979 the town has got its tap water from the mainland.)