size 640×480 pixels – but confined to 4/5 of window width
size 1600×1200 pixels – but confined to 4/5 of window width
Ruins of the Cistercian monastery on Tautra. Founded 25 March 1207 this monastery became rich and important; this was terminated by the Protestant Reformation in 1537. Later on the abandoned monastery was used as a source for building stones, only a part of the church was saved from further willful destruction in 1846. Now people come to visit the ruins (and the rest of the island), not in great numbers though, on a summer Sunday there may be 20–30 cars parked near the ruins.
The ruins are situated on a farm – Klostergården (website in Norwegian) – now with a small restaurant in the old living room (and in the yard), a dining hall for parties in the old barn; and in a new building, overnight accommodation and a shop that sells souvenirs, special (mainly local) products, garden plants and vegetables from the farm.